Tuesday 22 April 2008

Corned beef


I do try not to serve beige meals, but occasionally I impress myself with the colours on a plate. Tonight's vibrant green and orange are so very pretty.

When I moved to the UK I had no idea that corned beef was held in such poor esteem here - it is entirely associated with the cans of shredded not-sure-what (which my husband makes into a fab, comforting pasta sauce) and not at all with the corned silverside of Australian country Sunday lunches and brilliant sandwiches. Come to think of it, I must find out from my mother how she came to be such a proponent of the art of silverside without being Australian or a country girl... On the other hand, there is a great fondness and respect for the Jewish hot salt beef bar, and from where I sit, salt beef and corned beef are very much the same animal.

Tonight's corned beef was a small piece from a brisket that I cured according to a recipe in Preserved by Nick Sandler and Johnny Acton. It's been sitting in the freezer for quite some while, and I am on a bit of a freezer-emptying jag at the moment, so I decided the time had come. With the other piece from this cure, it was a bit too salty, so I soaked this one overnight, before cooking it for 2 1/2 hours in fresh water, with a slosh of vinegar, a bayleaf and an onion spiked with cloves. I don't think the extra flavourings do anything much for the flavour of the meat, but they make the kitchen smell heavenly.

I am very lucky to have found in my husband a soulmate: someone who likes their parsley sauce thick as wallpaper paste, and with far more parsley in it than white sauce just like I do. It is so rare to find that I don't think I will be making parsley sauce for anyone else, ever. So, corned beef, peering from a thick blanket of sauce, with roast butternut pumpkin, some roast cloves of garlic and steamed broccolini. Yum. Nothing like the stuff in cans.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Yum! I am always nostalgic for family Sunday lunches (and fritters with the leftovers) with corned beef. Our Scottish relatives were also disapproving until they tasted it!

mscrankypants said...

Is that a mustard jar behind the plate? Upon first look, I thought the black silhouette was a naughty cat poking its head up. I'll fetch my glasses before reading next time :-).

Alicia Foodycat said...

Definitely a mustard jar - but it does look like very small cat ears!

HH said...

Looks and sounds great, I haven't had Corned beef in ages, I will have to get onto it. I have also been meaning to cure my own since you initially told me about it, so again I will have to do that! So many things to do, so little time!

SSS said...

I used to eat the tinned stuff when I was a student nurse, and again as a staff nurse when I'd spent all my money on fripperies.

Corned beef hash is possibly the tastiest meal on a low budget.

Bettina Douglas said...

I am against vinegar in the cooking water. I think it toughens the meat. I find the bought corned beef less salty these days so don't usually soak it. Recommend Stephanie Alexander's cooking time of 40 min per 1/2 kg.
I would love to read how others do fritters. They are not part of out family food, but my husband thinks they are the best part of having corned beef.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...