Friday 9 May 2008

Fish Stew


Last night I didn't get the crucial "Buy salad, I will BBQ" message, so we reverted to plan B, a sort of Provencal -ish fish soup with rouille. But I got distracted and reduced it more than intended so let's call it fish stew.

Fish Stew

Sweat a diced onion and a diced fennel in some olive oil. Add a cup of chicken stock, a tin of chopped tomatoes and the juice of half an orange. Add a pinch of saffron stamens.

When it comes to the boil add a diced white fish fillet (finally got rid of the last piece of swordfish from the freezer), and when it comes to the boil again add a bag of frozen fruits de mer. When the prawns are pink and opaque stir in a whopping quantity of chopped herbs (I used chervil, lemon thyme and parsley) and taste for seasoning.

Serve in a big bowl with a dollop of rouille - which I made with bought mayonnaise, bought roasted peppers, a clove of garlic and a little smoked paprika.

4 comments:

Chef Erik said...

Oh yum. I live for fish stew! Thanks for the comment on my Tex Asian BBQ Tofu. As far as using fried tofu, it would be fine. Making your own will is ideal, the sauce will cling a lot better.

mscrankypants said...

I can smell it from here, but I'd be carb-weak and use crusty bread to mop up the fennely, citrusy juices :-).

We Are Never Full said...

When I was reading this, at first I thought it was a Livornese (Italian) Fish Stew, but then I saw the saffron. Love this! now it's more of a spanish fish stew.

Alicia Foodycat said...

I can't really claim that it is authentically anything! A bit of Italian fennel, a bit of Spanish saffron, a bit of French rouille. Tasted good though!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...