Saturday 7 June 2008

Duck breast with marmalade sauce


The other night I thought I would have another crack at Nix's Thighs. But not using chicken and really doing it entirely differently to make duck breasts in a marmalade sauce...

So I dry-fried some Szechwan pepper and ground it finely with some salt, slashed the skin on the duck breasts and put them skin side down in the hot pan and let them crisp up. I smeared the flesh side with a paste of marmalade, dijon mustard, ginger and garlic and then flipped the breasts skin side up on a rack over a pan of water, sprinkled them with the salt & pepper mix and finished them in a hot oven, while using the rendered-out duck fat in my pan to stirfry a bag of "rainbow stirfry mix" with some sugar snap peas.

It worked really well, but I think I should have kept back some of my marmalade paste, heated it and let it down with a little orange juice as a sauce. It's all a learning experience!

2 comments:

mscrankypants said...

One thing I've noticed is the bagged vegetable mixes you use look crunchy and fresh -- never seen anything of the kind here!

Alicia Foodycat said...

I suspect the "modified atmosphere packaging" they use here isn't legal in Australia...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...