Tuesday 24 June 2008

St John the Baptist's Day

Today is the feast day of St John the Baptist. Which means it is time to harvest your green walnuts for making liqueurs and candied walnuts. I jumped the gun yesterday and brought some in while my husband was BBQing sausages for dinner, but today I will be collecting more. This post on the walnut liqueur is inspiring, and I will certainly follow one of Judy's methods. I find this Dutch recipe for candied green walnuts (you need to scroll down a bit) fascinating, because it shows that the Dutch agree with the Italians on the right day for your harvesting, but also I swear it is talking about a sweetmeat that Elizabeth David writes about in Italian Food. I must dig out that reference and cross-check.

3 comments:

mscrankypants said...

I didn't think the Dutch agreed with anyone about anything *giggles from a half-Dutch person*. It's been fun trying to remember how much double-Dutch I absorbed when growing up!

Heather said...

Ooh, how interesting! I will need to learn more about this green walnut liquor...

Alicia Foodycat said...

Well, it is smelling good so far - mostly of the lemon zest and cinnamon, I have to say! We'll wait a month and see what happens.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...