Friday 18 July 2008

Pork Scratchings

I haven't been to Wahaca in ages. My usual partner in crime has moved on to bigger and better things, so I no longer have someone at work who appreciates the finer things in life. Like pork scratchings.

It takes a strong woman to say "The best bar snack in the known universe is a (sometimes hairy) piece of fried pig skin" but that is what I am here to do. And the scratchings at Wahaca are the best you will find in a wide area.

Made in-house apparently, much lighter and fluffier than your average scratching, as well as being 3 times the size. While they are lacking the occasional bits of pig flesh clinging to the underside that we expect and love, they are dusted with fennel-salt and come with some really excellent guacamole as a dip. The perfect accompaniment to a Wahaca Mule (tequila, lime & ginger ale).

The Hairy Bar Snack boys may not approve. These scratchings do not have the intense, salty, MSG porkiness of a traditional scratching. But they are mighty fine. I wish the HBS t-shirts came in girl sizes.

8 comments:

mscrankypants said...

The guacamole and Wahaca mule sound right up my alley, perhaps with pita chips for crunchy relief!

(I just realised I haven't eaten meat for 25 years -- must book myself a place at the local retirement home *sigh*)

Alicia Foodycat said...

Well, Wahaca do also make the most incredibly more-ish tortilla chips so you could have those!

Bettina Douglas said...

I recommend Michael Pollan's "In Defence of Food" to anyone who hestitates at the thought of pork scratchings

Alicia Foodycat said...

I've been meaning to read that!

Just Cook It said...

Pork scratchings are one of life's best treats. Of that there is no doubt.

coffee and queso said...

What a funny name, Wahaca, the phonetic spelling for Oaxaca! Love it. I have to say, I have never eaten what we call pork rinds, but my husband really likes them. He swears that cracklins are distinct from pork rinds as well (a Louisiana version of pork rinds), but as far as I can tell they are all the same.

Okay, you've got me. I'll have to try some. :)

Alicia Foodycat said...

Mindy, if you are a fan of crunchy, salty snacks you will like pork rinds! I think your husband is right about cracklins being different - as I understand it, cracklins are the crispy remainders when you have been rendering lard, so they'd be slow cooked in their own fat, whereas I think scratchings/rinds are cooked fast in vegetable fat.

Gemma said...

A bit late reading this but was just reading through your Covent Garden posts and any for that area. I keep meaning to head to Wahaca but haven't made it there yet although this snack looks so amazing that it's reminding me to go.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...