Monday 11 August 2008

Citrus Ginger Cranachan - Foodie Joust Sep 1





I am just not convinced by my entry for this month's foodie joust... But the pictures turned out nice so here it is.

Kittie won last month's seafood, sesame, cilantro challenge with an extra- ordinary trio of dishes and has set this month's challenge ingredients - whole grains, ginger and citrus.

In honour of Kittie being a Scot, and because I am going to Scotland next week, I decided to combine two of my favourite Scots-ish things to come up with something that would surpass them both. It didn't.

Favourite thing number 1 is cranachan (aka cream crowdie) - a luscious combination of cream, raspberries, toasted oats, whisky and honey. Favourite thing number 2 is whisky oranges with atholl brose cream - a luscious combination of cream, oranges, whisky and honey. I think you can probably see why I thought they would work well together...

So. I marinated segments of orange, lime and pink grapefruit in orange-blossom honey, slivered stem ginger and Jack Daniels (someone wouldn't let me use his single malt...) for the best part of a day. Poured off most of the juice (used it to make some fairly charming little grown-up jellies), whisked double cream with more honey and JD, folded through the drained segments with wholegrain porridge oats (caramelised with brown sugar) and topped the lot with some exceptionally pretty shreds of caramelised citrus peel. Chilled an hour and ate it.

And it tasted just the slightest bit too hand-knitted. I think I got my proportion of oats wrong. The cream, fruit and booze should dominate with the hit of toastiness from the caramelised oats as an undercurrent, and I just missed the mark.

8 comments:

Thistlemoon said...

Well I think it looks beautiful! I am sorry it wasn't what you were hoping for, but I would dig a spoon in! ;)

Alicia Foodycat said...

Would make a fabulous brunch dish - just needs more cream to call it dessert!

kat said...

It is certainly an interesting use of the three ingredients

Laura Paterson said...

Mmmm - what an interesting take on cranachan - lovely!! (I'll overlook the use of Tennessee, just this once ;)

Great entry!

Where are you going in Scotland??!

Alicia Foodycat said...

It really would have been better with the Speyside that I wasn't allowed to use!

We're going to Perthshire. And since today is the Glorious 12th, I am very much hoping to eat grouse.

Aggie said...

Hi there! I found you on Left Over Queen!

I think this looks fantastic! I've never had or heard of cranachan but I would love to try it now! I can just imagine the flavor the marinated citrus brings...yum! You've got a great entry here! : )

puppymomma said...

Those look so beautiful and refreshing. Good luck in the Joust!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Thanks Aggie and Puppymomma! One day I will make the original dishes again and show you how much better they are! But give this one a go. It was pretty good, if not what I was aiming for!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...