Sunday 28 September 2008

Ask Foodycat III

My mother says "Italian has always been my favourite food country, and after our visit to Florence I'm sure Firenze is my culinary home. Not least because I love pulses. But I have never quite worked out what sort of bean is used in ful mesdames?"

Ful medames is made with dried broad/fava beans in all the recipes that I can find, but there must be a few different types because the beans seem to range from wide flat beans about an inch long to a smaller round bean. Either way, it occurs to me that I haven't had that lovely, earthy combination of beans, garlic and parsley in far too long. Definitely a dish to revisit this autumn!

5 comments:

Bettina Douglas said...

Thank you. What about the egg? I suppose these things vary between cooks & families according to taste - like the choice of pasta shape for different things.

Alicia Foodycat said...

Well, they are supposed to be hamine eggs - cooked slowly for about 6 hours until they go out the other side of toughness. But the boiled eggs with slightly soft yolks that I remember having with it at home were always good!

One of my partners in crime in Spain has some good stories about going to get breakfast in Cairo and getting to choose between ful medames with different garnishes and various other fillings for your bread.

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

foodycat, as much as I love my Mexican food, my very second favorite is Italian. If I could have Italian tacos, I'd be in heaven.

Joe Horn said...

Oh are you in Florence. My wife and I visited 4 years ago! I love Italy, half Italian actually.

Alicia Foodycat said...

Teresa, as much as I love Italian food I can't play favourites! I would be very sad not to eat Greek or French or Mexican ever again.

Joe - I only wish! No, I am in England, but my mum & I had a trip to Florence last September. It was just wonderful and I am very keen to go back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...