Sunday 29 March 2009

Fresh Caught Trout 5

It finally comes to an end...

For my final dish using the wonderful trout Paul caught, I decided on a kedgeree. We used to eat this quite often when I was growing up, and the combination of rice, brilliantly yellow smoked cod and hard boiled eggs is one I remember always loving and I knew our home-smoked trout would be brilliant and it would make a fitting end.

Instead of doing my usual riff with this of a bit of garam masala, I decided to follow Jamie Oliver's recipe. I followed the recipe quite closely (for me), only substituting garam masala for curry powder, my smoked trout for the haddock, parsley for coriander (because that was what I had in) and topped it with some roasted tomatoes instead of adding chopped tomatoes to the dish. It was fabulous. You wouldn't necessarily think that the curry spices would go so well with the smoked fish, but they really, really do!

9 comments:

Heather said...

i've never heard of this dish before. it sounds homey and lovely, though :D

Esi said...

I have had kedgeree in the back of my mind since I saw Nigella do it years ago! It sounds like such a wonderful dish. Must try.

Sam said...

Kedgeree is such a great dish. I like the idea of using trout it sounds delicious!

Bettina Douglas said...

I don't think the kedgeree of my childhood was ever flavoured with "curry" or any other exotic spice.
Given that my mother's cooking skills extended to boiling rice and poaching a fish fillet, this was about the pinnacle of her culinary endeavours.

mscrankypants said...

Kedgeree was never on the menu of my childhood, though I remember mum hauling out the shiny yellow awfulness (in my juvenile mind) of smoked cod. Trout sounds much lovlier.

Alicia Foodycat said...

Heather - it is an old English breakfast dish.

Esi - I think you would like it!

Sam - the trout was good, but the old-fashioned cod way is still a favourite.

Mother - I don't think "poaching" is really what Ma did to fish. You should try it with the spices!

Cranky - I love the luminous yellow!

kat said...

Sounds pretty darn good to me

SSS said...

I adore kedgeree. It's one of my favourite dishes. You just don't see it in Australia.

Alicia Foodycat said...

Kat - it is a great dish, I think you would like it!

SSS - you don't really see it out and about in the UK either! I think it is a home-cooking thing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...