Saturday 18 September 2010

Snacks for dancing

My dancing has been coming along quite well of late. This is me in my first ATS public performance a couple of months ago, which was nerve-wracking but unexpectedly fun.

The downside to this progress is that I have moved into a more advanced class. Which in itself is great, but it means that on a Tuesday I have a very late night, not getting home until after 10, or closer to 11 if the trains don't cooperate. And THAT means that I get home too late to cook, but having danced for 2 hours I really need some food.

I've been working around that by making a series of portable snacks. Lots of oat and nut based things, to give sustained energy and stop me from buying chocolate bars at the station. So far, I've made a couple of different kinds of flapjack, nuts with a spicy coating, Joy of Baking's lovely lemon bars, and a strangely successful carrot cheesecake swirl bar. Wish I could remember how I made them.

12 comments:

Suelle said...

They all look very tasty and filling. Love the photo display gadget too!

Simona Carini said...

It's nice to learn about people's interests besides cooking and reading. Dancing is fun, though I agree with you about the toll that public performances take.

Rachel said...

What a multi-talented diva you are! The dancing looks like great fun.

Alicia Foodycat said...

Suelle - nifty isn't it? It's one of the photobucket slideshow styles.

Simona - I am sure that if you perform regularly it becomes easier. But for my first time it was terrifying!

Rachel - it is great fun!

Bettina Douglas said...

Nothing like an omlette for late night fast food.
Planning eating around exercise is a challenge. I can see why elite sports people travel with nutritionists and cooks as well as the rest of the support entourage.

Foodjunkie said...

You look so...oriental! I think that it is very wise of you to make your own snacks. I always need something salty after exercising, like a healthy sandwich, but I guess you won't be ableto refrigerate it anywhere.

Alicia Foodycat said...

Mother - I try to make sure I have some tasty leftovers to nuke, but I also eat quite a lot of eggs.

Jo - I crave salty stuff too, but I haven't found a portable, nutritious, salty snack except the nuts.

Bettina Douglas said...

Well thanks to your fellow blogger with puppies in her kitchen, I'm on a bit of a muffin thing at the moment. I haven't made any savory ones yet - but that is a possibility (with feta for the saltiness).

Deb in Hawaii said...

What a fun photo display and so cool with your dancing too! You have many talents. ;-)

mscrankypants said...

Birthdaycat, this isn't about food (though the snacks look delish) but you've motivated me to do something I've wanted to do for ages. There's an observational writing course run in the city occasionally and I never sign up because I'd get home late on a weeknight -- your dedication has been just the kick in the backside to just get on with it. Thank you!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Mother - savoury muffins are a good idea!

Deb - thanks!

Cranky - I have to say that if I went home before class I would never go. Because I go straight from work it is much easier!

Joanna said...

Hi there Foodycat! What a great blog, though wasn't expecting to see bellydancing when I arrived. Woo hoo! Love that slideshow too!

Nice to meet you. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...