Wednesday 6 October 2010

Scotch Eggs

Just as I was saying that I can't keep up with all the different weeks, I read Mark Hix's column in the Independent and discovered that this is British Egg Week. I love eggs almost as much as I love cheese, so I am very happy that these two weeks come back to back in the calendar!

This gives me an opportunity to post about these lovely Scotch eggs. I made them months ago, but I've never really had the right moment to blog about them.

Apparently the name has nothing to do with Scotland, and is from scotched meaning chopped. I don't know whether that is true, but they are a very British snack food, and really wonderful for picnics. They have been sadly debased with cheap sausage meat and weird orange breadcrumbs, but made with fresh free-range eggs, nicely seasoned organic pork sausages and panko crumbs they are absolutely delicious. I used this recipe from the Hairy Bikers, but there is a lot of wiggle room to customise them to your own taste.

8 comments:

Bettina Douglas said...

That looks wonderful. What a difference top quality ingredients make?

Foodjunkie said...

Scotch eggs look so weird,and can taste awful in their cheap versions. However they are yummy when they are home made and perfect with a pint, sitting on the grass.

Simona Carini said...

I love eggs too! I had never heard of Scotch Eggs before. I can see how they make a perfect picnic food.

mscrankypants said...

It's a crazy little miracle that you can wrap and crumb an egg and it turns out so perfectly without being able to spy on it while cooking.

I found the right yoghurt the other day to make your honey and saffron yoghurt so I'm a bit excited!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Mother - this is a very good example of that!

Jo - well, we didn't sit on the grass but the rest of your imagery is absolutely right.

Simona - I don't think you see them much outside the UK. They aren't a big thing in Australia, either.

Cranky - hope the yoghurt goes well.

kat said...

A favorite treat of mine! I still remember the first time my mom made these for us as kids & loving them right away

Sam said...

Fantastic! I love scotch eggs, these look so much better than the luminous orange supermarket eggs.

Deb in Hawaii said...

These look delicious and I love how you made them with quality ingredients! I have of course heard of scotch eggs but have never actually tried one. ;-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...