Monday 21 November 2011

Meat Free Monday: Pea & smoked cheese bruschetta

I've been watching the latest Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall series, River Cottage Veg Every Day. Lots of very good ideas for meat-free meals and some interesting looks at the way different cultures use veg in their diet. The thing that makes me less enthusiastic about it as a series is that so far it has all been focusing on summer veg, and as I try to eat with the seasons that's a bit tricky in November.

One dish that did catch my eye, however, was this lovely broad bean and smoked goats cheese bruschetta.

Shortly after I watched the program, I found myself standing in front of the Artisan Smokehouse market stall, and was able to buy some smoked goats cheese. I knew the bruschetta could become a reality.

I couldn't get fresh, local broad beans, and I don't like frozen ones, so I made it with frozen peas instead. I toasted slices of sourdough, then rubbed them with a clove of garlic and drizzled with a little olive oil. I piled on my pea puree and topped it with crumbles of the lovely smoked cheese. A grinding of black pepper and lunch was ready.

12 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

I would love those bruschettas for lunch! They look so inviting with smoked cheese!

Barbara said...

Nothing I like better than smashed peas! I could eat a dishful of them. Love that you've paired them with smoked gouda. This is lunch for me!

James B said...

That did look great when they made it, and I love the idea of your interpretation using peas.

I kind of feel like you do, that we are in Autumn coming into winter and it has been a lot of summer veg. I would like to give a meat-free BBQ ago!

Unknown said...

Yum, what a fun and delicious looking bruschetta! love the bright green color with the white!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Angie - they were good. I must make it again!

Barbara - I should make them more often as a side dish.

James - Didn't those tumbled barbecued potatoes they did look amazing?

Sucre Farine - Thanks!

Choclette said...

Oh I bet that was delicious, I love pee puree - much nicer than broad beans and your photograph looks most inviting. I've wanted to watch the latest HFW series, but can't seem to get channel 4 equivalent of iplayer to work properly these days - very frustrating.

Nicole Gamble said...

Looks so yummy! I so want to try!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Choclette - 4oD is pretty hit & miss for me too.

Nicole - thanks for visiting!

Simona Carini said...

The color of the pea puree is truly lovely. I couldn't get to the recipe page (will try later: the site seems to be having some problems) so I am wondering if the ingredients would work the same using dried fava beans instead.

camilla said...

how good are peas?? i love the way you've used them here. and that cheese looks so crumbly and delish.

Alicia Foodycat said...

Simona - the flavours would work well with dried fava beans, although I would say you'd need to add some fresh herbs, or some lemon juice, to brighten it.

Camilla - thanks for stopping by!

Deb in Hawaii said...

Mmm... this looks perfect--especially with that smoked cheese. I hope they import the show here someday. ;-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...