Sunday 24 February 2013

Smokey Bacon & Corn Hash

This was also part of my frugal cooking week. A using-up-bits sort of brunch which ended up turning out really well and is worth commemorating.

Bacon & Corn Hash (serves 2)

1 medium potato
1/2 an onion (according to Terry Pratchett "A woman always has half an onion left over, no matter what the size of the onion, the dish, or the woman.")
6 slices bacon
1 cup frozen sweetcorn
1/2 teaspoon Luchito smoked chilli paste
2 fried eggs, to serve

Cut the bacon into chunks and fry in a large pan until the fat runs, then add the potato, cut into small cubes. When the potato chunks crisp at the edges (you may need to add a bit of vegetable oil if your bacon is on the lean side) add the diced onion. When it is translucent add the corn and smoked chilli paste (use diced chipotle in adobo if you don't have Luchito). When the corn is cooked, divide between two plates and top each with a fried egg.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the Luchito chili paste. LOVE. This sounds great, and frugal.

Barbara said...

That looks amazing! I wish you were cooking my breakfast! :) I'm so lazy in the morning.

Couscous & Consciousness said...

That's an awesome way to use up some leftovers, and I have to say that is quite possibly the best looking fried egg I've ever seen :-)

Joyti said...

I love the idea of a frugal week - the world needs more simpleness and frugal-ness :)
The dish sounds delicious.

Alicia Foodycat said...

Susan - it's lovely stuff, isn't it?

Barbara - it was a very late breakfast! I love your new picture.

Couscous - thanks! Had to take a picture of that one because my husband likes his cooked all the way through and they look horrible.

Joyti - frugal is good!

Amy said...

Your corn hash looks amazing. With that gorgeous egg on top, I know I'll be happy to have this for brunch every day! :P

Angie's Recipes said...

I love this! I can picture myself eating for the lunch!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Any -thanks!

Angie - lunch or dinner works too!

grace said...

corn! and a fried egg! and bacon! this is an ideal breakfast, for sure. and it's frugal too? all the better. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...