Wednesday 22 October 2014

The road to hell is paved with... salmon tartare




Several of my pals in the blogosphere take part in an event called I ♥ Cooking Clubs, where they cook their way through a different cookbook writer's output for six months or so. It's been going for ages, but I've never really felt drawn to participate before. But now, they have announced that their featured writer for this Autumn/Winter is Diana Henry. As my love for her is well-documented, I just had to get involved.

So the theme for last week was Icy Cold - which played beautifully into my hands as I had the end of a side of salmon left over from some other dishes. Just perfect for a salmon tartare with rye crisps. I thought I'd be able to sneak it under the wire as a light lunch on Sunday, and post about it on Sunday evening. Unfortunately last week it was me who was Icy Cold and Thoroughly Stuffed Up, so on Sunday I found myself being fed a lamb kebab for lunch, having no power to actually make a decision or do any cooking.

My good intentions having come to nothing, the salmon tartare was my lunch on Monday, and I am letting it stand as this week's Pot Luck theme. It's delicious. It's not scary raw fish. It's light and fresh and very quick to put together. Mine was not entirely as it should have been because the supermarket let me down on dill, and I couldn't find the capers. I substituted a pinch of crushed fennel seeds to add the missing aniseed note from the dill, and doubled up on the pickled cucumbers.

10 comments:

Deb in Hawaii said...

Well if the road to hell is paved with this salmon tartare, sign me up! Just kidding, but this does look amazing.

Happy to have you join in with us this week and hope to have you pop back in whenever you can! ;-)

Amy said...

I've actually never had a tartare... Crazy, right?! I think I would really enjoy this salmon version! It looks delicious!

Joyce Rachel Lee said...

I like the title! :)

kitchen flavours said...

This looks good! serving it with the rye crisps looks delicious!
Hope that your cold has completely gone by now!

Susan Lindquist said...

What an elegant way to use up the leftovers! This would look wonderful on a platter of nibbles at a cocktail party!

Zosia said...

That looks like a wonderful dish...perfect for a Sunday (or any other day) lunch (or supper, or snack)!

Couscous & Consciousness said...

Delicious, Alicia. I made this dish too this week. I'm no stranger to a salmon tartare, but the rye crackers were a revelation - loved them. Great adaptations on your part to use what you had on hand.

Kim said...

You and I are fast friends solely based on your dining options :) I like the way you think! This salmon tartare is gorgeous and dainty and I bet it made you feel good just eating it!

And, as Deb mentioned, please feel free to participate in IHCC whenever possible. No hard and fast rules at all. We love to have you whenever you can.

ostwestwind said...

I never ate raw salmon, but this dish wants to try it right now.

Alicia Foodycat said...

Deb - I've got myself organised now! 3 weeks entries planned.

Amy - it's so light and fresh, I'm sure you would love it!

Joyce - thank you!

Kitchen Flavours - it's lingering, but almost gone. Thank you!

Susan - that is the suggested way to serve it, in small portions with drinks. It really does cry out for a glass of champagne!

Zosia - thanks!

Sue - I thought you were brave to make the version in the book with the rye crackers! The online version buys them in...

Kim - thank you! I will get in the habit. It's a fun way of mixing up your cooking.

Ostwestwind - give it a try - sashimi quality salmon (i.e has been frozen) is pretty easy to come by.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...