Thursday 2 April 2015

Salted almond truffles - a work in progress

I had what I thought was a pretty good idea for a salted almond chocolate for Easter. A tempered dark chocolate shell filled with a salted almond praline held together with white chocolate ganache. I bought some Easter-y chicken chocolate moulds and set about it.
Pink Murray River salt crystals
Almond praline in progress
... and then discovered that while the tempering worked pretty well, there wasn't then enough room for a decent amount of filling. It just all got a bit too difficult. So I dumped the rest of the filling mixture into the rest of the dark chocolate and rolled it into balls.

They taste good, but aren't what I had in mind. Back to the drawing board! Probably next Easter.

7 comments:

Bettina Douglas said...

Funny! Glad to see the salt put to good use.

Unknown said...

Alicia,
Thanks for posting this. I wonder if most would have the courage to document something you just didn't want to happen. As for the chicken molds, I don't know they kind of look as though they are sitting in hay. Why not chop the almond praline fine and bind with some creamy milk chocolate ganache or caramel and fill them with that? Love the molds and I'm sure the truffles are delicious.

Suelle said...

On the plus side - your tempered shells look good, and your truffles sound tasty!

Angie's Recipes said...

I haven't made anything special for Easter...maybe I should just whip up a small batch of truffles for my husband. They look divine!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Mother - it was a very good use for the salt! Unfortunately I dropped the grinder the other day and smashed it.

Amy - that was exactly what I did (the praline was very fine, and then bound with white chocolate ganache). The halves of chicken were meant to be stuck together.

Suelle - it's the Hope & Greenwood method, very reliable!

Angie - truffles would be welcome I am sure!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic said...

This sounds delicious and I would def still eat those chicken shaped truffles :)

grace said...

this is the best kind of project--even the non-successes are successes and when you finally nail it, they're gonna be AMAZING!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...