Friday 30 October 2015

Nigella's cumin lamb ribs for potluck week

I actually hadn't planned this, but the other day we had a Nigella Lawson dish for tea, and this week it is Potluck Week on I Heart Cooking Clubs, so it was clearly meant to be.

The recipe - lamb ribs with cumin and nigella seeds - is in her new book, I think, but she's got it on her website as an exclusive for community members. Worth signing up just for that, I think. And it's good enough to tempt me to buy the book.

Lamb ribs are very popular in South Africa, as a snack, grilled over a wood fire, simply seasoned with salt and pepper (I posted about them after a trip to SA) but you don't tend to see them as much over here. But Ocado have started to stock them, so hopefully they will take off.

Paul was very sceptical about me cooking ribbetje in a newfangled way, but the weather wasn't up for lighting the fire and I didn't give him much option.

The recipe takes about a minute to put together, and then two hours of slow roasting while all the fat renders out of the ribs leaving tender meat and an abundance of crispy bits. We had them as a main meal, piled on stir fried vegetables, but they would make great party food, as long as you don't have a white carpet and aren't wearing a posh frock.

9 comments:

Lydia from Lydia's Flexitarian Kitchen said...

I think I'd love this particular spice combination. Lamb I can find all over in Spain, but I think it will be a hunt to find the nigella seeds. Sounds like it will be worth it :)

TeaLady said...

These look wonderful. I love lamb but it is very hard to find here.

Deb in Hawaii said...

These look delicious--I love the cumin and nigella combination. As much as I try to avoid buying more cookbooks, I find myself really wanting Nigella's new one. ;-)

flour.ish.en said...

Drooling over this fantastic lamb rib dish. I like everything about it. Flavor and texture must be over the top!

Diane Zwang said...

Great post. It sounds like a sumptuous meal.

kitchen flavours said...

What a mouth-watering meal! I can almost smell the cumin!

grace said...

i don't think i own anything that could be considered posh, so no worries there. :)

Gemma said...

Did you watch the first episode of her new show last night? She made these and they looked great, will definitely keep an eye out for ribs (of course now they'll probably be everywhere and will shoot up in price!).

Kim said...

Envious of your new Nigella cookbook. I love the way she writes her cookbooks and have vowed to find a space on my shelf for her latest. These ribs look so inviting. The nigella seeds really go a long way in making them look tempting and fun. Looks like a very succulent and delicious way to prepare the ribs:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...